Test Kitchen: Pumpkin Seeds

Friday, November 9, 2012
Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Source: Allrecipes.com

Halloween is my favorite holiday, but I don't always have the time or money to get as involved with it as I'd like. This year, I was fortunate to be able to pull a costume together, attend a party, hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, watch some scary movies, and naturally, carve a jack o' lantern. My top priority probably should have been meticulously slicing clean lines into my pumpkin. My actual top priority was making sure I snagged every single seed so that I could roast it later.


There are various opinions out there as to how long the seeds should dry out before they're cooked. For mine, it took at least a couple of days before they seemed dry enough to proceed. I list allrecipes.com as my source, but that was really only for ideas about oven temperature and cooking times. I knew that I'd be coming up with my own seasoning blend, and it was vastly entertaining to consider various combinations. A bit of seasoned salt was always a given, but as to the rest, my ideas changed daily. The internet suggested coating the seeds in melted butter to make sure the spices stuck, but I opted for a thin coat of olive oil, instead.


My final decision was a combination of seasoned salt, curry, garlic powder, cumin, and a dash of cayenne; I wanted them to have a kick. So how did they turn out?


Well, they were beautiful. And I wish to hell that I could say that they were delicious, too. After all, they certainly took plenty of time and work. But they weren't delicious. They weren't bad either - they just didn't meet my high expectations. I'm not sure what I should vary to make them better. The length of time I let them sit before roasting? The spice blend? The cooking time? I'm not sure, and I won't be carving another pumpkin anytime soon to find out. Ah, well. There's always next Halloween.

0 comments: